The WORLD PEACE COUNCIL (WPC) is an anti-imperialist, democratic, independent and non-aligned international movement of mass action. It is an integral part of the world peace movement and acts in cooperation with other international and national movements. The WPC is the largest International Peace structure, based in more than 100 countries.
Since its creation in 1949-50, the WPC stood for peace, disarmament and global security; for national independence, economic and social justice and development, for protection of the environment, human rights and cultural heritage; solidarity with and support of those peoples and liberation movements fighting for the independence, sovereignty and integrity of their countries, and against imperialism.
The WPC has consistently adhered to the main principles and objectives laid down by its founders and is inspired by the UN charter, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the principles of the Non-Aligned Movement and the Final Act of the Helsinki Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe.
As an NGO member of the United Nations, the WPC cooperates with UNESCO, UNCTAD, UNIDO, ILO and other UN specialized agencies, special committees and departments; with the Non-Aligned Movement as official observer, the African Union, the League of Arab States and other inter-governmental bodies.
The WPC initiates and cooperates in actions to eliminate nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, and to reduce conventional arms. It also acts in particular for the dissolution of military blocks and pacts; the dismantling of all military bases and the withdrawal of foreign troops; for social and economic development, the establishment of a new international economic order, a just solution of the problem of foreign debt; for the recognition of every nation’s freedom of choice; for the establishment of a new international information and communication order; in support of the liberation movements; for the settlement of regional conflicts on the basis of respect for the rights of the peoples to self-determination.
In its activities and structures, the WPC pursues the goal of equal participation of men and women.
The WPC believes that the solution of global security problems is possible by enlarging the popular movement and raising the level of public awareness for the causes that generate war and misery to the peoples.
PRINCIPLES AND OBJECTIVES
The guiding principles of and objectives of the Peace Council are:
- Against Imperialist wars and occupation of sovereign countries and nations
- Prohibition of all weapons of mass destruction and ending of the arms drive; abolition of foreign military bases; total and universal disarmament under effective international control;
- Elimination of all forms of colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination;
- Respect for the right of the peoples to sovereignty and independence, essential for the establishment of peace;
- Respect of the territorial integrity of states;
- Non-interference in the internal affairs of nations;
- Establishment of mutually beneficial trade and cultural relations based on friendship and mutual respect;
- Peaceful co-existence between states with different political systems;
- Negotiations instead of use of force in the settlement of differences between nations.